DIY creative ideas for top storage cabinets. Do you keep your books or decorative items piled up everywhere? Today, we offer you a smart way to organize the space better in your home using an easy and quick storage unit to make yourself with recycled materials. In addition, you will find some tips and inspiring ideas to make an original pallet or wooden crate bookcase in the following lines.
Make a small original bookcase with wooden boxes
Need some extra space to store favorite books in the nursery? So, you don’t have to invest a lot of money to find the perfect solution. Indeed, we can use recycled materials to make an original bookcase, even in a mini version. So if you’re a DIY fan, here’s an easy idea to try.
- Wooden crates
- Paint for wood
- Wood finish
- Corner brackets
- Wood glue
1. First of all, we have to prepare the crates. Start by sanding them with sandpaper.
2. Then, clean each case well and paint to give them a touch of shine. Let it dry well.
3. Apply a wood finish coat. Leave to dry.
4. Now, you have to assemble the boxes. To do this, try a few different setups to find the one you like the best. Normally, if you are using a small number of crates (3-4), you can lay them on top of each other to create a small bookcase.
5. If you want to secure the makeshift storage cabinet, use some corner brackets, wood glue, and a few screws.
How to make a bookcase from a salvaged pallet
DIY projects with reclaimed pallets are very popular in recent years, especially on hot days when looking for economical alternatives to furnish your outdoor area in a comfortable and chic way. The DIY furniture pallets are still a cool idea to sublimate its interior by bringing a rustic and personal touch. Therefore, creating a small wooden shelf is a pleasant alternative to put your favorite books and objects in order. Below, we offer a model of the rectangular bookcase in reclaimed wood planks lotus drawing.
Materials and tools:
- Recovered pallet boards
- Electric sander
- Pencil and tape measure
- Flathead nails
- Wood screws
- Wood glue
- Circular saw
- Goggles and hearing protection
- Drill and countersink drill
Steps to follow:
1. Clean and sand the wood.
2. Now, measure and cut out the boards you will need to create a rectangular-shaped module. The dimensions of the cabinet will vary depending on the space available. Here, we will use 7 horizontal boards of the same size (2 for the top and bottom of the bookcase; 5 for the shelves), 4 small boards to divide the space and create different storage areas, as well as 2 vertical planks to make the frame of the bookcase.
3. To make the frame, make holes on the ends of the boards. Then, attach a vertical plank to a horizontal plank at a right angle. Next, nail the other vertical board and add the horizontal board to close the rectangle.
4. Then, nail the rest of the horizontal boards to the inside of the frame.
5. To give an asymmetrical aspect to the bookcase, nail small vertical boards between the shelves, thus creating modules of similar height but of different width.
Hello, sun and good weather! As spring arrives, we are all looking forward to spending more time outdoors. For all these who are fortunate sufficient to have a few square meters of backyard or garden, it is also a unique possibility to enjoy the rays of the sun in all laziness and without even having to leave their home. The dream! … To be able to enjoy a few pleasant moments in the open air, the need to develop your pleasure garden in complete comfort is essential. And if only we could do it without breaking the bank! Good news, it is quite possible! All you have to do is roll up your sleeves and realize our reclaimed garden decor ideas with a recycled object that is original, economical, and very practical and eco-friendly and easy to make yourself.
Make a pallet sofa for a cozy relaxation area
Materials and tools required:
- Two wooden pallets
- Chalk painting
- Paint roller and tray
- Screwdriver and screw
1. First, treat the surface of the pallet with sandpaper, if necessary, to remove any irregularities. Then, get rid of the dust residue by wiping a wet cloth over it.
2. Then, repaint the surface of your palette with chalk paint (blue color or whatever color you like). To apply the paint, use a paint roller and a paintbrush for the more difficult access areas. Implement the next cover of color, if needed. Let the paint dry well before turning over and painting the other side.
3. To create the seat of your pallet sofa, stack two (or three) pallets. Secure by installing screws on the sides using your screwdriver.
4. Create the backrest by placing and fixing again with screws, another pallet vertically, behind the seat.
5. Finally, personalize your pallet sofa by providing it with a seat cushion and decorative cushion.
The DIY idea with recycled tires or how to make a garden coffee table in a tire
Materials and tools needed:
- A reclaimed wheel
- A lot of play forest or MDF (large enough to cut two pieces of wood with a diameter the diameter of the tire)
- Furniture feet to be assembled
- Sisal rope
- Strong glue/construction adhesive
1. The first thing to do is, of course, to clean the recycled tire. To do this, a simple sponge with soapy water is sufficient.
2. Then, using your jigsaw, cut two pieces of plywood with a diameter that matches that of the tire. Screw the two round plates on the face and the back of the tire.
3. Then mount the feet by first deciding their location and spacing them evenly. In this case, we used three feet, but you could also use four. Now make pilot holes a little smaller than the diameter of the screw before screwing the feet on the back of the tire table.
4. Finally, there remains the most laborious task of lining your table with sisal rope. To do this, start winding the rope around itself from the center of the tabletop, making sure to coat the surface with glue beforehand and hold the rope in place, especially during the first few turns of the rope.
Also Read: Summer Workout